Friday, September 19, 2008

Thank Goodness for My Emergency Fund


Image by Grant Matthews

I woke up this morning to head to a meeting and was pulling out of our parking lot when my husband called to let me know that as I pulled out he noticed my tire was flat. He was right, the tire was completely flat, so I cancelled my meeting and he put my donut on for me. 

Off I went to the nearest tire place and they told me that the tire had simply worn out, as had one of my other tires. 
I needed to get both replaced, so we picked out ones with a good warranty, and I swiped by American Express for $209. Normally, this would have me sweating and flipping out, but I was cool as a cucumber because I knew that in my trusty ING Savings Accounts was enough money to cover it. 

I got home and emptied my Auto Fund and then pulled the remaining balance out of my Emergency Fund. When that clears I will pay off the money that I charged to my credit card. Granted I just took a $200 hit to my Networth, but I was able to handle it without going further into debt and without getting stressed. 

So, if you don't have an emergency fund yet, start one! Even putting by $20 a month is a start. 

No comments: