Thursday, November 20, 2008

Overcoming Time Management Issues with a Microwave

Image by Jek in the Box

I'm the first to confess that time management is not my strongest skill. I never miss deadlines, but sometimes it gets close! My house is often messier than I would like, and hanging up laundry is one of the things that never seems to get done.

My saving grace in getting things done, though, is my microwave. I don't know what I would do without it. You see, my microwave has a timer on it and not only do I use that to measure how long my tea has been steeping for, but I also use it for things like writing, cleaning the house, folding laundry, filling out online surveys and so on. 

I set my timer for ten minutes, then head upstairs and start putting laundry away. If I finish before the timer, great. I saunter downstairs and check my email. If not, I stop the laundry and start on the next task. Another ten minutes can be spent doing Cash Crate surveys to make a little extra money. The next ten minutes can be spent reading a magazine, then another ten brainstorming blog articles. Then another ten minutes searching for good recipes. 

Breaking up an hour of free time into chunks like this, and being sure to allow yourself one of those chunks to do something you like such as reading a magazine or playing a quick online game will balance out the feeling of rushing around doing chores and give you a minute to catch your breath. 

So next time you have an hour spare, make a list of six things that you can do in ten minute sections, set your oven timer, or your alarm clock, or your microwave and see how much you can get done!

Let me know how it goes or if you have any other neat time management tricks.  

Want free updates? Subscribe to my RSS Feed!

No comments: