Monday, August 25, 2008

Switch Your Credit Card to Save Money


Photo by Alfredo Neto

I had an American Express Delta Skymiles credit card for the longest time. When I opened the account I did it because I got a huge Skymiles bonus with my first purchase, and I knew I had some traveling coming up in the future. After a time, though, it became evident that without more bonuses like that one, I would never earn enough miles for a second flight after I took my first. 

After realizing this and deciding it wasn't worth the annual fee if I was unlikely to earn the rewards, I decided that I would switch to a different American Express credit card. 
The benefit of changing to a different card within the same company is that you can make the move relatively easily and you can essentially get a different credit card without having an inquiry to your credit history. 

I moved to a Blue Cash Rewards card, which allows me to get cash back and has no annual fee. American Express also refunded me $61 of the $85 annual fee that I had already paid this year. 

This account is the current target for my debt snowball and I am fairly confident that I will have it paid off by the end of next month. I've been using the card here and there, but paying off the amount immediately from my checking whenever I charge something. This allows me to get the reward benefits for very little extra work. 

So now is a good time to look at any credit cards you have that you still use and check the company for one which has rewards that would better benefit you. 

This is my 100th post at Distilled Rose! Here are my five personal favorite posts from the last 100. 


Want to read the next 100 posts with no effort? Subscribe to my RSS Feed!

No comments: