Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Borrowing Paintings : An Interesting Solution to a Decorating Problem


Recently I moved into a new apartment. It's our last hurrah.... a huge loft with big walls and lots of light. Unfortunately, the walls are very empty and it certainly shows. 
Purchasing large pieces of art to fill the walls would enhance our meagre art collection, but it would seriously damage our finances. Large paintings go from $200 to thousands of dollars, and we would need at least six. 
I have a friend who is a very talented local artist. I am lucky to already have one of his pieces. It was abandoned by my brother-in-law and we rescued it and have proudly displayed it since. I was chatting with my friend the other day and had asked him to trade me another painting in exchange for his final payment on the car I had sold him. He came back to me with another idea a few days later. 
He has some large paintings that that take up a lot of space in his house, and he is going to loan them to me while we live in this big loft, and perhaps I will be able to replace them once our finances are more stable. So it seems we are turning our loft into an art gallery. 
What do you think of this? Is this the future of decorating on a budget?




No comments: